Permits and legal documents for you and your family

So you’ve chosen Montréal as your future home. Good call! Whether you come from Brazil, China, France, Morocco or anywhere in between, Montréal is ready to welcome international talent with open arms. Have a look at the vacancies available on our job portal and join the dynamic Montréal market!
Where to start your job search
As the wise Confucius once said, “Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.” When you start your search, focus on the jobs that speak to you the most. It will be much easier to integrate and perform at your peak if you’re doing something you love! 

Businesses and employers that recruit talent through the Talent Montréal job portal are aware that you’ll need to obtain a work permit and will usually be able to help you. Once you’ve been offered a job, find out if the organization that hired you can assist you when you arrive.
Get the permits you need
To work in Québec, you’re going to need a work permit. And in most cases, you’ll need an official job offer from a Québec company before you can apply for one.

If you already have a working holiday visa, this can work in your favour. Let companies know you have it when you send in your resume to show that you’re allowed to work in the province. 

There are a number of options available to obtain a work permit. Check with your new employer to find out which one is right for you.
When applying for your work permit, you can also apply for the family members who’ll be joining you in Québec:
  • Your spouse or partner (opposite or same sex) 
  • Your dependent child(ren) (biological or adopted) 
You will need to obtain an immigration document for each dependant, based on their situation: 

  • Work permit 
  • Study permit 
  • Visitor permit 
Note: if you’re planning for your family to join you after you arrive in the province, you can submit these applications at a later date.
If you’ve been married to or living with someone for more than 12 months, you will be considered as spouses or common-law partners in Canada. If you’ve been hired for a managerial, professional or technical position (categories 0, A or B of the National Occupational Classification - NOC), your spouse or partner may apply for an open work permit for the same duration as your own once you’ve received your work permit. 

In Québec, like elsewhere, certain professions are subject to regulations. If you have questions about your spouse or partner’s profession, don’t hesitate to ask for more information.

The Sector Gateway program is a free virtual networking solution by the Chamber of Commerce of Metropolitan Montreal. Your spouse or partner will benefit from direct and privileged access to Montreal businesses thanks to the different activities offered. Learn more.
Once you have obtained your work permit, you can enroll your kids in the Québec public school system, which is free for everyone up to the end of high school. Depending on your current country of residence, you may also need to apply for a study permit for your little ones. 

For certain levels of education (like college), you’ll need to provide proof of enrollment in the educational institution in order to apply for a study permit, so you will need to enroll your children ahead of time.
Need a visa with that? Depending on your nationality, you may need an Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA) or a temporary resident visa in addition to your work permit.  To learn more :
The road to becoming a permanent resident
Becoming a permanent resident will make your move to Canada infinitely easier! You’ll no longer need a work permit and you will have the freedom to work for any employer (unless the job calls for high level security clearance).
If you’re planning to settle in Québec long term, you’ll need to follow certain steps to obtain your permanent resident status. The Ministère de l'Immigration, de la Francisation et de l'Intégration, under the jurisdiction of the Québec government, has decision-making power over the selection of economic immigrants. You will need to obtain your Québec Selection Certificate (CSQ) from this governing body, which is the first step to becoming a permanent resident.
Depending on your profession and on your level of French, you may be eligible for the Québec Experience Program (PEQ), through which you can apply for your CSQ. If not, refer to the Regular Skilled Worker Program (PRTQ), available on the Arrima platform. Once you have your CSQ, you will be able to apply for permanent residence with the government of Canada. 

To learn more about the selection criteria, processing times and associated costs, visit the government of Québec and government of Canada websites.
Make sure your passport is up to date Your passport is your key to Canada! Check the expiry date before starting the application process as immigration officers will use it to determine the duration of your work permit and visa. 
Looking for the help of an immigration expert? 
Before enlisting the services of an immigration expert, make sure they’re legally authorized to help you. For more information, visit the Barreau du Québec or the Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council websites.
The most reputable cooperative financial group in Québec