While moving to a new city is an exciting time, it can be a costly one, too! Some expenses you can plan for while others may come as a surprise. But you can make your big move run a whole lot smoother by creating a budget and setting aside a little extra in case of the unexpected so you can settle into your new home stress free!
- Admin costs (sending documents to your future employer, immigration services, passport photos and fees, etc.)
- Airline tickets and transportation to the airport
- Moving your personal belongings (transport costs, insurance, etc.)
- Temporary travel insurance for you and your family
- Medical expenses and any medications you may need
Here are some of the expenses to expect when you arrive:
- Temporary accommodation (hotel room, furnished apartment, etc.)
- Rental accommodation for short to long term
- Furniture, appliances and household items (kitchenware, tableware, bedding, etc.)
- Electricity/heating for your new home
- Car or public transport costs
- Cell phone bill
- Insurance - health, home, car, personal, etc.
- Clothing (we strongly recommend buying your winter clothes when you arrive in Québec, and not before)
- Child-related costs - daycare fees, activities, school supplies, etc.